Single Jersey Fabric Properties makes the fabric perfect for today’s textile industry, especially in t-shirts, underwear, leisurewear, and sportswear. Today will know the behind the properties, which make the fabric so excellent to use.
Table of Contents
What is Single Jersey Fabric?
Single jersey fabric is a single thickness of weft knitted fabric. It’s used R-L plain knitting by one row of needles with refined grade raw yarn. The basic single jersey fabric properties have plain R loops on the front side and back L loops on the other.
The most common single jersey material is cotton and polyester. Single Jersey fabric is commonly used for T-shirts, underwear, dresses, and various casual garments, because of its comfort, stretchability, and versatility.
Single Jersey Knit Structure
The single jersey has a flat loop on the top side and a reverse loop structure underwear on the bottom side. Therefore, the front and back sides have different appearances from each other. The front side is called technical front, and the backside is called technical back.
Popular single Jersey manufacturer like Sømdrøm Stoffbutikk produce knit structures in the form of tubes on the circular knitting machine. One row of needles pulls yarn through the loops from the technical back to the technical front to produce the subsequent row of loops.
These actions create just one layer of fabric; in this way, the name single jersey fabric comes from.
Single jersey fabric structure
Single Jersey fabric is a type of knitted textile characterized by its simple and versatile structure. The fabric is created using a single set of needles on a knitting machine. In the production process, each row of loops is interlocked in a way that results in a smooth and flat surface on one side, while the other side often exhibits a series of small, raised loops. This creates a fabric that is stretchy in one direction, typically in the width.
Characteristics of Single Jersey Fabric:
- Knitting Structure: Single Jersey fabric is knitted using a basic structure with a single set of needles on a knitting machine.
- Smooth Surface: The fabric typically features a smooth and flat surface on one side, providing a clean and neat appearance.
- Stretchability: Known for its stretchiness, Single Jersey fabric offers good elasticity, usually in the width direction, providing flexibility and comfort.
- Texture Variation: The fabric often exhibits a textured appearance on the reverse side, with small raised loops creating a distinctive pattern.
- Lightweight: Generally lightweight in nature, making it suitable for a range of apparel items that require a breathable and comfortable feel.
- Versatility: Single Jersey fabric is versatile and can be used for various clothing applications, including T-shirts, underwear, dresses, and other casual garments.
- Cost-Effective: Due to its relatively simple construction and production process, Single Jersey fabric is often cost-effective compared to more complex knit structures.
- Breathability: The open-loop structure of Single Jersey enhances breathability, making it suitable for warm weather or active wear.
- Ease of Production: The single set of needles in the knitting process contributes to faster production rates, making it an efficient choice for large-scale manufacturing.
- Widely Used: One of the most widely used fabrics in the fashion industry, Single Jersey is a popular choice for everyday clothing due to its comfort and versatility.
Difference between Single Jersey and Double Jersey
The horizontal edge of single jerseys curls while stretched, while double jersey fabric does not curl.
|Knitted fabric with one set of needles
|Knitted fabric with two sets of needles
|Typically has a smooth and flat surface
|Has a more textured appearance due to loops on both sides
|Offers good stretch in one direction (usually width)
|Provides stretch in both width and length directions
|Generally lighter compared to double jersey
|Tends to be heavier due to the additional layer of fabric
|Provides less insulation and warmth
|Offers better insulation and warmth
|May be less durable due to a single layer of fabric
|Often more durable due to the double-layered construction
|Commonly used for T-shirts, underwear, and lightweight garments
|Suitable for heavier garments like sweatshirts, hoodies, and outerwear
|Usually less expensive due to simpler construction
|May be more expensive due to the double-layered structure
|Faster production as it involves a single set of needles
|Slower production as it requires coordination between two sets of needles
The Single Jersey Fabric Properties are as follows:
Properties of single jersey fabric
- The front and back sides are different from each other.
- Very breathable, Feels soft and light.
- Stretchy, and easy to wear.
- Sweat doesn’t stay locked between apparel and the skin.
- Easy to iron, and it is relatively crease-resistant
- Has a curling tendency.
- Has laddering problem.
- Wider widths are obtained in a single jersey fabric.
- Stretches approximately the same transversely and longitudinally.
- Less patterning possibilities than in other knits.
- Least amount of yarn used per unit area in production.
- When cut, curls occur from the sides towards the back of the fabric and from the front and back towards the front of the fabric.
- Has less tendency to wrinkle.
- Yarn, or course, are unaltered from the start and end of knitting.
- Has good extensibility in length and width in both directions.
- Width-wise stretchability is usually much higher than length-wise stretchability.
- The fabric shrinks 3-5%%. in width.
- Fabric thickness is 2X the dia of the yarn used.
- Fabric production is higher.
- Less expensive.
Single jersey knit fabric has various physical and chemical properties. But many properties can change due to the use of synthetic elastane fiber. The physical properties of single jersey knit fabric are changed. Such as Stitch density, GSM, Air Permeability, bursting strength, Pilling, Shrinkage Spirality, Yarn Loop length, Course Spacing, Wale Spacing, course, wales, Bursting Strength, and so on. These all made it an excellent and versatile spandex knit fabric.
The fabrics from spandex/ Lycra yarns have the most significant tension values under a constant draw ratio, giving the highest weight, wales per cm, courses per cm, stitches per cm, thickness, and lowest air permeability values.
The width of the fabric decreases, and at the same time, the thickness of the fabric increases. Consequently, The wear comfortability of outer clothing, underwear, leisurewear, babywear and sportswear is generally ensured by using fabrics knitted from spandex or lycra.
Mahedi Hasan, is a Textile Engineer, as well as a Top Rated content writer at Upwork, Level 02 Seller at Fiverr, Level 02 Publisher at Ezoic. A passionate textile ad fashion content writer, fashion SEO expert, and fashion web designer. Having a B.Sc. in Textile Engineering Degree from Textile Engineering College, Noakhali (TECN). Department is Apparel Engineering. Highly Experienced fashion writer for the last 3+ years. Have extensive 7 years of experience on wholesale clothing business.