Bamboo! Most people know that it is usually used for construction. However, bamboo has an interesting functionality of bamboo is that a soft, comfortable fabric can manufacture from bamboo. When processed, bamboo fibers can be converted into a piece of fabric. That is softer than cotton with a silk-like drop. Here, we will find out the bamboo fabric’s amazing properties. Now time to know the bamboo fabric manufacturing process, bamboo fabric properties, advantages of bamboo fabric, as well as disadvantages of bamboo fabric.
What is Bamboo Fabric?
Bamboo fabric is durable, breathable, and soft. Its fiber comes from nature and eventually returns to nature. Bamboo rayon, also acquainted with bamboo fabric. It refers to a textile that specially made from bamboo. Bamboo fabric acclaimed as the natural, green, and eco-friendly textile material of the 21st century. It has been used to make fabric for many years. But it is only in contemporary times that the process of turning hard and fast-growing wood into fabric has been completed.
Bamboo Fabric Properties
- Largest producing country: China
- Fabric breathability: High
- Moisture-wicking skills: High
- Heat retention capacity: Medium
- Possible Thread: 300-600
- Stretchability and peeling tendency: High
- The recommended temperature for washing: Warm/ Regular
Bamboo Fabric Manufacturing Process:
Ever wondered how fabric can be made from bamboo? And, why is this process good for the environment? There are basically two processes of bamboo fabric manufacturing process to extract fiber from bamboo trees. Both of these Method will discuss below:
Process 01: In this bamboo fabric manufacturing process, the plants are crushed in a mash using natural enzymes and then combed and cut into yarns. The fabric produced in this way is similar to linen. This method has some environmental flaws. But it can probably be sustainable. However, it is expensive. Because it is labor-intensive. And the fabrics produced are not enough flexible to be used in the increasingly popular bamboo fiber underwear.
Process 02: The plants are boiled in a cocktail of sodium hydroxide and carbon disulfide solvents in this method of bamboo fabric manufacturing process. Both of these chemicals are harmful to health and can harm aquatic life. The pulp is made from boiled bamboo and then yarn is cut from it. Later, the cloth is woven from this yarn which becomes very soft.
Advantages of Bamboo Fabric
Eco-friendly fashion is becoming relatively popular in today’s era. There are plenty of other great benefits to considering buying fabrics made from eco-friendly fibers as well as organic fabrics especially bamboo. The advantages of bamboo fabric are as follows:
1. All About the Comfort: Clothing made from natural fibers is much more comfortable than items made from synthetic fabrics and materials. Bamboo fabrics are not only softer than cotton materials. They boast a texture that is like silk or even cashmere. Bamboo garments also absorb moisture quickly, making them a great fabric for lightweight summer shirts and slacks.
2. Hypoallergenic and Antibacterial: Bamboo is a natural ingredient so it has no side effects. Therefore, there is no possibility of any allergic problem in the use of its fabric. Moreover, as it is antibacterial, it keeps your odor-free and feels and smells fresh.
3. Helps Block Ultraviolet Rays: Several scientific types of research have proved that bamboo fabric blocks detrimental ultraviolet rays from the sun. This means that using it will protect your body from harmful ultraviolet rays and protect it from skin cancer.
4. Breathable and Temperature Regulating: Bamboo fabric is breathable. It promotes healthy skin as it does not ‘grip’ against the skin. Moreover, this fabric has the ability to help control body temperature. So, children’s bamboo clothing and bedding help keep kids cool when they’re hot and warm.
Is Bamboo Eco-Friendly fabric?
Bamboo is the most environmentally friendly fabric. And not only is it 100% biodegradable. It recognizes as the most renewable resource. Excessive use of bamboo fabric will not have any bad effect on the environment. Moreover, it is easy to decompose and can adapt to the environment quickly.
No doubt that Bamboo Fabric is a sustainable fabric as well as Eco-friendly. It is less expensive and more durable but most importantly, less harmful to the environment than organic cotton. Described as a feeling like Kashmir it is luxuriously soft. Its fabric is attractive with its amazing silky softness.
Having a lot of advantages bamboo fabric has some disadvantages also. Now time to talk about bamboo fabric disadvantages.
Disadvantages of Bamboo Fabric
What is bad about bamboo fabric? Is bamboo fabric bad for the environment? No, But bamboo fabric needs more water than other fabrics like cotton textiles for the manufacturing process. It is one of the most important disadvantages of bamboo fabric.
The bamboo fabric manufacturing process takes more energy to dry after washing. This is not a problem if you use a cloth line instead of a cloth dryer.
However, bamboo natural production is reducing day by day due to mass application, especially in the construction industry. That’s why we should increase the cultivation of bamboo and reduce the mass destruction of forests for bamboo. These are the major environmental issues as well as the most important disadvantages of bamboo fabric.
Although this fabric is very comfortable, it is not as durable as other fabrics. Bamboo fabric is much more wrinkled than other fabrics. Depending on where the fabric is being used, this fabric may not be the ideal choice.