A pair of ankle boots is one of the most stylish footwear to style with any outfit. No matter the occasion, you can always go right with the correct type of ankle boots for your outfit.
They are also perfect for almost all seasons except rainy ones because the heels might get stuck in the mud. Wear ankle boots are common mostly in European countries because they cover up the entire feet, which helps keep them warm even during the coldest seasons.
Keep reading this article to learn more about ankle boots and how to style them with dresses.
What are Ankle Boots?
Ankle boots are short boots that usually go up to the ankle, where the lower calf and foot meet. Since they are boots, most of them come in high heels; some of the heels could be pencil while others are thick. There are many types of ankle boots, such as closed toes or open toes and even ones with flat soles can be found.
These boots have been around for a while, and both men and women used to like styling them because of their versatility. Even though the fashion for ankle boots has been gone for some time, they are slowly returning.
What are Ankle Boots Made From?
Ankle boots are made of various materials such as faux leather, leather, or suede. These materials are the most common kind used for making ankle boots. Traditionally, leather or rubber was used for most cases. Still, in modern times, these boots can be found to be made up of different materials.
There was also a time when these boots were made up of silk or satin fabric which were extremely fragile, and the boots lasted only a short time. In modern times, ankle boots are made of nylon or other synthetic materials. Some well-known brands also carry leather ankle boots. Still, as leather is not the best option for sustainability, people are more inclined towards faux leather.
They are also perfect for almost all seasons except rainy ones because the heels might get stuck in the mud more often than chunky heel platform boots.
History of Ankle Boots
The ankle boots were first invented as early as 1804. It came to the market to be the primary focus of women’s fashionable wear. To this day, they are still a popular item in both men’s and women’s attire. However, during the 1880s, ankle boots ran out of fashion for unknown reasons but gained their popularity back.
In the late 1950s and the early 1960s, ankle boots started appearing in the clothing line of many branded catalogs. By the 2000s, and even in 2022, ankle boots are still in high demand by many worldwide.
Types of Ankle Boots:
There are 3 types of ankle boots in the market to choose from. They have their differences and ways of being styled with various dresses.
Western ankle boots are the most common type found because they are easy to style and look good on everyone. These boots usually have a tassel, steel toe accent, or fringes attached to the sides to give them a spiced-up look. Brands such as Zara, Free People, Steve Madden, Isabel Marant, and Urban Outfitters carry reasonably priced items. However, you might get almost the same items at a lower range from other places.
2. Stacked Heel
These ankle boots are perfect for people who want to seem taller than their real height. The sturdy block heels will help you to walk freely and move without feeling uncomfortable while being fashionable. It means you do not have to sacrifice your comfort for fashion. Brands such as Toral, Mango, Urban Outfitters and Sam Edelman carry such boots.
3. Animal Print
If you are not afraid of making a statement, go with these types of ankle boots at first glance. The animal print in neutral colours can jazz up any outfit, no matter the clothes you have put on. Prints such as crocodile, snake, cow, zebra and giraffe prints look very classy. They can make any outfit look like a million bucks.
How to Style Ankle Boots with Dresses?
Ankle boots look the best when they are styled with short dresses. This combination is perfect for wearing in summer or winter, depending on your comfort level. The short silhouette of the ankle boots is known to elongate the legs’ appearance, making them a perfect item to pair up with shorts or any dress.
In contrast with the colour of the dress you are wearing, go for a light or dark-colored ankle boot so that the pair looks stylish and planned. Light-colored ankle boots look good with light or simple dresses for the summer. In contrast, dark-coloured ankle boots will look good with leather or heavy-material dresses in winter.
If you are planning to get an ankle boot that will be easy to wear throughout the year with dresses, then going for a black or dark brown ankle boot is a good idea. Flat, comfortable ankle boots with fewer heel inches are a good fit for casual dresses. While elegant dresses look better with heeled and sleek ankle boots.
Try Ankle Boots Style with Seasons
- For spring, pair up with brown or light-colored ankle boots to match the floral or wrap dresses for a soft and feminine look.
- For summer, brown or tan ankle boots look good with mini floral and midi linen dresses. You can also pair them with patterned printed dresses for a pop of color in your outfit.
- For autumn, skater dresses or any short dresses with tights would look good when matched with black or brown ankle boots, which give off a cute and cosy vibe.
- For winter, black ankle boots look best when styled with a layered sweater or long-sleeved dress. Add a pair of black tights for a warm and polished look.
- As they cover up the feet up to your ankles, these boots are a good choice for the winter seasons to keep the feet warm.
- They are very versatile and look good with any outfit.
- Comes in various heel types, allowing you to choose what works for you.
- They provide much support to the wearer and reduce the risks of long-term foot problems.
- These boots ensure the ankle is supported, ultimately improving performance for the wearer.
- As these boots are very versatile, they are mostly expensive regardless of the brand you purchase from.
- The ankle boots are supposed to be heavy and add extra weight to the feet for the wearer.
- Wearing ankle boots too much and too often might lead to causing injuries and make your feet feel fatigued.
- These boots might feel tight for some people because they are enclosed and keeps the feet compact.
- The maintenance of ankle boots is complicated because you should not use silicon sprays and liquid shoe polishes.
Do ankle boots get sweaty on the inside?
If you wear any enclosed footwear item for a prolonged period, your feet are supposed to get sweaty over time; if it is summertime and winter, that will not be much of a problem.
Why do women prefer ankle boots over normal boots?
Ankle boots come in various designs and can enhance self-esteem. They also provide a sense of status and power to the wearer, bringing them much attention.
Ankle boots are a good choice for anyone wanting to look good without trying too much. They are versatile and can be paired with dresses of various designs and cuts. You can wear them in the summer, winter, fall, or spring because they can be styled regardless of the season. However, owning a pair of ankle boots will complete your wardrobe because you might not have to get other boots. They will compliment almost any type of outfit and make the wearer look confident in it.