For the last couple of years, the rise of stockings has taken the fashion world by a spin. It is because stockings are very easy to style and look good with almost any item you can name.
Even though fashion for stockings has risen in the last few years, it has been around since the 90s, and women still love to style them with mini-skirts, dresses or even ripped jeans. Stockings are an excellent addition to your wardrobe because of their versatility.
In this article, we will discuss how to wear stockings with dresses and various other clothing items.
What are Stockings?
Stockings are long and go up to the knees or even higher. They have variations in transparency and colour and can be worn by women from all ethnicities. They are known as stockings and not socks because they cover up the lower part of body.
Some stockings come with panties, and those are known as pantyhose. Some of the stockings also come with a garter belt, and they are found in lingerie stores such as Victoria’s Secret. But the most common ones are those with an elastic band attached to the nylons so that the stockings do not slide off.
What are Stockings Made of?
In most cases, stockings are made up of nylon, but you will also find silk, knitted wool and cotton stockings in the market. Pantyhose are made of a nylon-based blend with synthetic fibres, making them elastic. Stockings used to be made up of quality materials back in the day because the royals mainly chose them.
Other varieties of stockings are made up of pure silk, polyamide and also Lycra. You will also find stockings made up of pure nylon; some wearers love how it feels on the skin. The stockings, made up of natural fibre or silk, feel very comfortable and lightweight on the skin. Good-quality stockings are primarily manufactured in France or Italy and are more expensive than regular ones. However, the silk stockings stretch less than the nylon ones.
How to Wear Stockings with Dresses?
Styling stockings with dresses is not the most challenging thing on the planet if you have chosen the correct type of stockings for your outfit. If you fail to do so, this part of the article will help you with it.
Stockings with Long Dresses
For work or any environment where you do not want to wear short skirts, you want to ensure that the top of the stockings, the band, is covered under your outfit. So wearing the stockings like everyday pantyhose is the way to go with long dresses or skirts. You should also ensure that the dress is of neutral colours and does not have crazy patterns.
Stockings with Mid-Length Dresses
If you want to wear a mid-length dress or skirt for that alluring night look for a date or party, you want to expose the band of the stockings just slightly to accommodate the skirt length. It will provide a sexy look and feel to the wearer. With a dark pencil dress or skirt below the mid-thigh, you want to wear sheer black stockings.
Stockings with Mini Dresses
You can also wear woollen stockings during the winter with a mini-skirt if the stockings are woven and cosy. Style the thick woollen stockings with tall boots or boots, and you will look classy with any stylish winter mini dresses or skirts.
You can also go for ripped, sparkle, polka dot, textured, or fishnet stockings with your dresses to provide a different vibe to the outfit. They look good if you can style them according to your dress or skirt. The stockings should not always be black or sheer black to match dresses.
Stockings Outfit Idea you can try
- Thigh high socks outfit
- Knee high socks outfit
- Black stockings outfit
- Dress with fishnet tights
- Dress with black tights and boots
- Fishnet tights outfit
- Dress with stockings outfit
- Sheer black tights outfit
- Fishnet stockings outfit
- Black formal dress with stockings outfit
- Stocking dress style
- Over the knee socks outfit
- Ripped fishnet tights outfit
- Dress and stockings outfit
- Stockings wear with dress
- Dress and black tights
- Winter stockings outfit
- White stockings outfit
- White thigh high socks outfit
- Mesh tights outfit
- Green tights outfit
- Lace tights outfit
- Little black dress with stockings
- Dress and fishnet tights
- Stocking wear dresses
- Dress with thigh highs
- Black knee high socks outfit
- Grey thigh high socks outfit
- Grey stockings outfit
- Mesh stockings outfit
- Short dress with black tights
- Nylon tights outfit
- Navy tights outfit
- Dress with sheer tights
- Sheer tights outfit
- Red stockings outfit
- Black pantyhose outfit
- Knee high socks winter outfit
- Wearing stockings with a dress
Advantages of Stockings.
- Stockings look good with any length of dress, skirt or even jeans because of their versatility.
- There are a lot of designs of stockings to choose from, so your options are unlimited.
- Stockings can also help with some people’s aching and heavy feelings in the legs.
- Swelling of the legs and ankles or blood clots in the leg areas can be reduced if you wear stockings often.
- For pregnant women, stockings will prevent varicose veins, so they are also advised to wear stockings regularly.
Disadvantages of Stockings.
- If you wear stockings for a long duration of time, then they might break the skin and cause infection or sores.
- Stockings can be easily ripped off because they are fragile items that can form holes quickly.
- Colourful stockings will only look good with a few dresses or other outfits.
- Some of the stocking bands or the stocking itself are tight to the wearer, which will not be comfortable for the wearer.
- If you do not wear the correct type of stockings according to the weather, then either you may feel too cold or too hot depending on the humidity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are stockings expensive?
Stockings are not expensive and are affordable for everyone. It is because many clothing and lingerie brands carry them, which are relatively inexpensive to manufacture
Are stockings easy to maintain?
Stockings are not the most accessible clothing item to maintain because they can easily get ripped off if they come in contact with sharp materials or get stuck with anything.
Can people with thick thighs wear stockings?
Stockings come in various sizes and band widths, and everyone can wear them if they buy the right size to fit them comfortably.
How to Choose stockings
How To Choose Stockings
Your legs are a canvas for color and texture, and thigh highs allow you to use that canvas. To help you decide which style of stockings are suitable for you and particular occasion. You can concentrate on 2 attributes: 1. your personality & 2. the weather.
Weather conditions can impact how you feel and thus your fashion decisions.
Stockings are a versatile piece of clothing that many women wear worldwide. The demand for stockings has risen for the last couple of years, even though they have been around since the 90s or earlier. They look good with dresses of any length or skirt, and you also do not have to worry about the type of shoe wear to choose.
Moreover, you should not think so much about how to style stockings with dresses because that is very easy to pull off. Just find the right stocking size and ensure you are comfortable with the outfit you have worn.